The Avengers has done it again. While there was little chance that Disney's mega blockbuster would lose the weekend crown to Battleship, nobody expected it to beat the competition by so much. Marvel's The Avengers finished the weekend with $55 million. That is the second best third weekend ever and The Avengers has now reached $457 million in the US. Battleship finished second with a weak $25 million. That number is worse than Dark Shadows and even infamous flop John Carter. There is hope that Battleship can remain strong over Memorial Day but I think that this Battleship is sunk. The Dictator finished behind Battleship with $17 million over the weekend. The film performed weak and has only made $24.4 million through 5 days in theaters. Dark Shadows opened ahead of What To Expect When You're Expecting this weekend. Shadows brought its total to $50.9 million with a $12.7 million while What To Expect made $10.5 million. Next weekend should mark the end of The Avengers reign with the release of MIB3.
1. The Avengers- $55 million weekend, $457 million total
2. Battleship- $25 million weekend
3. The Dictator- $17 million weekend, $24.4 million total
4. Dark Shadows- $12.7 million weekend, $50.9 million total
5. What To Expect When You're Expecting- $10.5 million
MEMORIAL DAY PREDICTIONS
The Avengers will have a really small dip next weekend and I expect it to pull in anywhere between $40 million and $50 million over the 4-day weekend. But I don't see The Avengers beating MIB3. It's been ten years since Men in Black 2 and I think people are ready to see J and K back in action. Also, besides The Avengers, there haven't been any true blockbusters this month and people have probably seen The Avengers enough times already. People like Will Smith, people like Men in Black, and people go to the movies on memorial day weekend and it all works out. Expect all other films to have unspectacular grosses next weekend. Expect a good Memorial Day weekend with grosses of just over $200 million. Here are my predictions for the 4-day Memorial Day weekend.
1. MIB3- $90 million weekend
2. The Avengers- $45 million weekend, $525 million total
3. Battleship- $18 million weekend, $50 million total
4. Chernobyl Diaries- $16 million weekend
5. The Dictator- $10 million weekend, $45 million total
6. Dark Shadows- $8 million weekend, $65 million total
7. What To Expect When You're Expecting- $5 million weekend, $20 million total